An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

How do I get in contact with VTC-11?

The phone number to the command's quarterdeck is (619) 437-2281. After hours contact CTG-1 at (619) 437-2572.

Where do I get a Sponsor?

Your new work center will assign you an individual to help you complete your transfer to San Diego and help you check onboard. This person should contact you by phone or mail before you transfer and attempt to answer any question you might have about your arrival. If you have questions about your Sponsor or have not received any correspondence from your new work center, please let us know at (619) 437-2281 ask for any YN's.

 Where will my family stay when we first get to San Diego?

There are several options to consider when you and your family arrive in San Diego. The first option is contacting the Navy Housing in San Diego, ( In the case that housing or civilian apartments are not readily available, suitable lodging is open to service members and their families at several Navy Lodge's located in the San Diego area (for reservations, please contact the San Diego Navy Lodge at

Where do I first check onboard?

When checking onboard for your first time you should go directly to the VTC-11 quarterdeck located on NAB Coronado, BLDG 3. The quarterdeck is manned Monday-Friday 0630-1600. After hours contact CTG-1 at (619) 437-2572. Please have your orders ready when you arrive.

What do I wear when I check onboard?

When checking aboard for your first time you should wear your dress uniform. San Diego changes from Whites to Blues in October (winter), and from Blues to Whites in April (summer). However, your dress blues with ribbons is always a good choice regardless of what season it is.

How to I get to TACRON 11?

Directions from San Diego Airport: Upon arrival at San Diego International Airport there are several things you can do to get to the NAB Coronado and VTC-11.
1.  Your first option is to arrange transportation with your sponsor or notify VTC-11 Quarterdeck that you need the duty driver.
2.  Your next option is to purchase a rental car from one of the several rental car companies within the airport. This option also may not be available due to financial capabilities of some service members.
3.  The third option is to pay for a taxi. The average taxi cost from the airport to the base is currently between $20 - $30. Once you have transportation from the airport, the following directions will get you to NAB Coronado:

 - From the airport, proceed South on N. Harbor Drive following the signs towards I-5
 - You will travel through several lights on N. Harbor Drive until Grape Street Directions to TACRON 11 (click to view larger image)
 - Turn Left on Grape Street and proceed to the top of the hill
 - You will travel through several lights on Grape Street until the I-5 South Exit
 - Turn right onto the I-5 South Exit
 - Travel approx. 2-3 miles past the airport on I-5
 - Next, exit I-5 onto the Coronado Bay Bridge (CA 75)
 - Turn left on Orange Ave
 - Orange Ave turns into Silver Strand. Stay on this road until you see NAB Coronado
 - Turn left on Tarawa Road.
 - Go straight till the second left (parking lot by the Flag pole).
 - VTC-11 is located in BLDG 3.

For reference the command's address is: 3604 Guadalcanal Rd San Diego, CA 92155


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

1. What is an Ombudsman?
Every Command has an Ombudsman who is a spouse of a sailor at the Command. The Ombudsman serves as the liaison between the command and the families. The Ombudsman is the point of contact for the families. He or she can assist families with navigating through Navy life through resources and information.

2. How can an Ombudsman help me?
Navy Family Ombudsmen are key resources for family members, particularly during deployments. Ombudsmen maintain current resource files with information on military and civilian community agencies that can help families solve a variety of problems, and successfully meet the challenges they face before, during, and after deployments. In addition to providing referral information, Ombudsmen can facilitate communication between the Command and family members. Ombudsmen may publish or contribute to command newsletters or maintain care lines, which have recorded messages with information for command families that can be accessed 24 hours a day. Ombudsmen can also assist families in contacting the Command for a variety of reasons.

3. What is the role of the COMNAVSURFPAC Force Ombudsman?
The Force Ombudsman provides oversight and guidance for all the Surface Ship's Ombudsmen in the Pacific Fleet Area of Responsibility. You can contact the Surface Forces Ombudsman at (619) 301-6983 or send an email to

4. What is an IA assignment or tour?
An IA is an Individual Augmentee. A Sailor may receive orders to go IA and this means that he or she will deploy as an Individual, not with their command. Sometimes an IA will deploy and be stationed with another branch of the Military.

5. What is NFAAS?
Navy Family Accountability and Assessment System. This is how the Navy will track your family and assess your needs during an emergency.

6. How can I find out more about medical, dental or Navy family resources?
Contact your Command Ombudsman. He or she will guide you to your resources.

This is an official U.S. Navy website

Commander, Tactical Air Control Squadron (TACRON) 11

3604 Guadalcanal Rd
San Diego, CA 92155

Guidance-Card-Icon Dept-Exclusive-Card-Icon