An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Reporting Onboard

1. Contact Information

Quarterdeck: 619-556-4594

2. Where to Report

If you require travel assistance, please contact either your sponsor or the ship in advance to let us know your travel intentions. When you arrive in the area contact your sponsor or the ship for our current berth.

3. Sponsor Coordination
Family Resources

1. San Diego Information

Information on getting to San Diego and area information is contained on the Navy Region Southwest Web Site at

2. Getting Around in San Diego

For information on other routes to get around in San Diego, please refer to the Navy Region Southwest Web Site

3. Housing and Lodging

Bachelor Housing: Combined Bachelor Quarters (CBQ) is located at Naval Base San Diego. More information on Bachelor Housing in San Diego can be found on the Naval Station Web Site at

Housing Welcome Center: The Navy Housing Welcome Center is the central resource for community housing. The Housing Referral Office (HRO), part of the Welcome Center , maintains up-to-date listings on available rental and sales units in the community. OPNAVINST 11101.21 directs all military personnel to report through the Housing Referral Office (HRO) prior to negotiating any agreement for community housing.

This requirement was established to assist you, on an individual basis, in locating suitable nondiscriminatory housing within a reasonable price range and to advise you in advance of those places where occupancy by military personnel is not authorized or recommended. Housing information can be found on the NAVBASE San Diego Web site at

Temporary Family/Bachelor Housing: The Housing Referral Office also maintains listings on temporary accommodations for occupancy during house-hunting trips or for brief periods (motels, trailers, efficiencies, and apartments are available for weekly or monthly rentals, including utilities). AVAILABILITY IS LIMITED.

4. Household Goods

The Personal Property Office is located in Bldg. 3376, Naval Base San Diego next to Military Family Housing up the hill from the commissary. For information on household goods shipments, call (619) 556-MOVE (6683). More information can be found at the following web site

5. Medical/Dental

Active Duty And Dependent Care

Medical care is available at Naval Base San Diego and Naval Medical Center San Diego for active duty personnel, military retirees, and their dependents.

Dental care for active duty military personnel is available at the Dental Clinic, Naval Base San Diego.

6. Fleet & Family Support Center

FFSC San Diego CA, provides numerous information and referral services. These include crisis intervention and after-hours Navy Relief assistance. In addition, relocation and spouse employment assistance are also available. The NFSC's Hours of operation are from 0800 to 1600, Monday through Friday. Telephone (619) 556-7404, AUTOVON 526-7404. Information is also available on the following web site

7. Ombudsman


PHONE:  619-885-1799
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

1. What is an Ombudsman?
Every Command has an Ombudsman who is a spouse of a sailor at the Command. The Ombudsman serves as the liaison between the command and the families. The Ombudsman is the point of contact for the families. He or she can assist families with navigating through Navy life through resources and information.

2. How can an Ombudsman help me?
Navy Family Ombudsmen are key resources for family members, particularly during deployments. Ombudsmen maintain current resource files with information on military and civilian community agencies that can help families solve a variety of problems, and successfully meet the challenges they face before, during, and after deployments. In addition to providing referral information, Ombudsmen can facilitate communication between the Command and family members. Ombudsmen may publish or contribute to command newsletters or maintain care lines, which have recorded messages with information for command families that can be accessed 24 hours a day. Ombudsmen can also assist families in contacting the Command for a variety of reasons.

3. What is the role of the COMNAVSURFPAC Force Ombudsman?
The Force Ombudsman provides oversight and guidance for all the Surface Ship's Ombudsmen in the Pacific Fleet Area of Responsibility. You can contact the Surface Forces Ombudsman at (619) 301-6983 or send an email to

4. What is an IA assignment or tour?
An IA is an Individual Augmentee. A Sailor may receive orders to go IA and this means that he or she will deploy as an Individual, not with their command. Sometimes an IA will deploy and be stationed with another branch of the Military.

5. What is NFAAS?
Navy Family Accountability and Assessment System. This is how the Navy will track your family and assess your needs during an emergency.

6. How can I find out more about medical, dental or Navy family resources?
Contact your Command Ombudsman. He or she will guide you to your resources.

This is an official U.S. Navy website

USS Pearl Harbor (LSD 52)

San Diego, CA

Guidance-Card-Icon Dept-Exclusive-Card-Icon