An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

USS Stethem (DDG 63)

"Steadfast and Courageous"

Contact Us   
Ship Address USS STETHEM DDG-63
FPO AP 96678-1281 
San Diego, CA 92135
Local:   619-359-5001
DSN:    315-243-3026
Ombudsman contact information: Phone: 619-957-7815
Welcome Aboard!

WELCOME ABOARD the finest ship in the Pacific Fleet! Congratulations on your orders to USS STETHEM (DDG 63), home ported in San Diego, California. STETHEM is assigned to Destroyer-Squadron NINE under Commander Carrier Strike Group ELEVEN/NIMITZ CARRIER STRIKE GROUP.
STETHEM is the thirteenth ship of the ARLEIGH BURKE Class of guided missile destroyers, and the first ship named in honor of CUCM  Robert Dean Stethem, USN. Commissioned in 1995, STETHEM continues to serve as one of America’s finest warships after over 26 years of naval service.

Duty on an AEGIS destroyer is certainly one of the most challenging Fleet assignments. STETHEM’s systems are complex, the tasks are challenging, and our responsibilities are vast. From your first day in STETHEM, you will be considered the expert in your area of responsibility – every Steelworker is a key member of our fighting team!

By now you should have been contacted by your assigned sponsor and they are assisting you and your family with your transition to San Diego. If this is not the case, please contact us so that we can remedy that situation as soon as possible.

Again, welcome to STETHEM. You can take great pride in your assignment. We look forward to welcoming you aboard!

Helpful permanent change of station checklists can be found at your local Family Service Center Relocation Office. These are usually the best source of information to make your move as painless as possible. However, this page may serve to remind you of some of the important items that are sometimes overlooked.

Have you...
  • received your orders?
  • obligated service for the duration of your new assignment?
  • received a signed transfer evaluation and filed it in your service record?
  • notified your sponsor of flight information? Arranged ground transportation?
Plan for the day of your move! Do you need it? If not, can you throw it away or place it in storage or will you take it with you? The local Personal Property Office can assist you with placing items in storage. This should be taken care of at least 2 weeks prior to arrival of the movers.

Keep your important documents (birth certificates, passports, orders, medications, insurance, etc.) separate. If possible, keep them locked in your car trunk during the pack out so they don't get accidentally packed. You should, at a minimum, keep the following items with you prior to AND during transit to your new command:
  • PCS orders.
  • All military records.
  • Keys.
  • Address Book.
  • Moving documents.
  • Household valuables inventory.

Complete a Change of Address card at the local post office. You can also fill this out on-line at net. Remember, this changes your address at the post office, not with whomever is sending you mail. You must notify individuals, companies, and any magazines you have subscriptions with separately. Most companies, including magazines, have a toll-free number you may call to change your delivery address.

Make arrangements to cancel utility services and pay final bills. Most utility companies will forward a final statement and receipt of payment to your new address if you ask. Ensure you take care of ALL of the following, as necessary:
  • Water company
  • Electric company
  • Natural gas company
  • Trash/waste services
  • Telephone (including cellular phones)
  • Any maintenance related fees you may have incurred

As soon as you know your flight information, make temporary lodging arrangements for the new location. Of course, ensure you sponsor is aware of your arrival date. They can also confirm temporary lodging, ground transportation, pet reservations, etc.
A sponsor will be assigned to you, to assist you with your assignment to STETHEM. The ship may be underway when you report. If so, report to Transient Personnel Unit (TPU), Bldg 56, located at Naval Station San Diego. They will provide you with assistance for reporting to the ship. You can also contact TPU at (619) 556-5272. Addition information about San Diego can also be found at

Money & Allowances:
There are many overseas allowances made especially for both overseas and deploying personnel. Below is a listing, and explanation, of the various allowances.
NOTE: Geographical Bachelors are members with family who elect to complete their tour onboard "unaccompanied". If they elect to live off the ship, there is no monetary entitlement and all expenses, including rent, are "out of pocket."
Family Separation Allowance (FSA)
FSA is an allowance paid to married active duty members who are required to be separated from their families. While assigned to STETHEM, A service member with dependents who serves an unaccompanied tour of duty may be entitled to a family separation allowance (FSA) of $250 per month. FSA accrues from the day of departure from the home station and ends the day prior to arrival at the home. In situations where service members are married to another service member, family separation allowance is authorized for one member if the members were residing together immediately before the separation. Service members must complete a DD Form 1561 (Statement to Substantiate Payment of Family Separation Allowance) to substantiate entitlement to FSA. For more information please visit:

Career Sea Pay (CSP)
All members of STETHEM are authorized sea pay for the duration of their underway periods. Based on years of sea duty performed, this allowance varies and starts once underway.

Career Sea Pay Premium (CSPP)
CSPP is paid to all members, E5 and senior, who have exceeded 36 months, consecutive sea duty, but less than 5 years TOTAL sea duty. E4 members are authorized this allowance and continue to draw CSPP until they detach (i.e. the 5 year total sea duty rule does not apply to E4 personnel). CSPP is equal to an additional $100.00 per month as well as Career Sea Pay.

Dislocation allowance (DLA)
DLA is paid to any active duty member, with family members, who move their household due to a permanent change of station. This allowance can be drawn in advance prior to detachment from the last command. If it is not paid in advance, it is automatically paid during liquidation of the final travel claim upon reporting. DLA rates are based on pay grade.
Getting Around:
There is ample public transportation in the San Diego area. Bus and taxi service is available almost around the clock, as well as a comprehensive San Diego Trolley system, which runs to the base. A base shuttle is available and stops at all points of interest on the naval base including piers, exchanges, PSD, barracks, clubs, and fitness centers. Numerous area maps are available from the Fleet and Family Service Center located on the hill across from the Naval Base Exchange.

Household Goods:
Contact the Personal Property Office at Naval Station San Diego for information on your inbound personal property shipment. Their phone number is (619) 556-MOVE (6683).

CORONADO: Trolley north to American Plaza Transfer Station. Walk to Broadway Pier, Take Coronado Ferry. Take Bus #904 around Coronado.
CORONADO CENTRAL BEACH: Runs along Ocean Boulevard with a back drop of fine homes and mansions, restrooms, and shower facilities. Lifeguards on duty. Tide pools, fishing in front of the Hotel del Coronado.

GLORIETTA BAY BEACH: Located south of the Hotel del Coronado and City Hall, it offers a unique view of the Glorietta Bay and the San Diego-Coronado Bridge. There is a large grass-filled park, small beach area.

CORONADO GOLF COURSE: Public course features 18 holes with backdrop of Glorietta Bay, San Diego-Coronado Bridge and the Hotel del Coronado. A driving range, pro-shop, grill and meeting rooms are available. (619) 435-9485.

BOATING and FISHING: Gloreitta Bay Marina (619) 435-5203, and Loews' Crown Isle Marina (619) 424-4000. Both feature boat rentals ranging from paddleboats to sailboats to jet skis to deep-sea fishing. Charter connection dining yachts is anchored at Glorietta Bay Marina. Water-skiing in South Bay off Loews Marine. Fishing on pier at Ferry Landing Marketplace. Fishing off Hotel Del Coronado breakwater. Surf-fishing along the ocean.

BALBOA PARK / RUEBEN H. FLEET / MUSEUMS / SAN DIEGO ZOO: Trolley north to City College Station, 12th and C. Walk to corner of 12th and B, take #7 direct to Balboa Park.

DEL MAR RACE TRACK AND FAIR: Trolley to 3rd Avenue and Broadway in front of U.S. Grant Hotel, #34 northbound, transfer at the VA Hospital to #301 to Via de la Valle.

GASLAMP QUARTER: Trolley to Imperial and 12th Trolley Transfer Station. Go to back of building, get on east line trolley "El Cajon" going west, get off at Gas lamp Quarter.

OLD TOWN / BAZAAR DEL MUNDO: Trolley to 5th Avenue, stop at 5th and C.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):

Where do I report?
If the ship is in port, report in the Uniform of the Day to the STETHEM quarterdeck. The Officer of the Deck will endorse your orders. Your sponsor will arrange for berthing and will show you around the ship. Normal working hours are from 0700 to 1600.  If the ship is at sea, reporting personnel should report to the Transient Personnel Unit (TPU), Bldg. 3142 Naval Station San Diego CA. The telephone number is (619) 556-3185. The uniform of the day is the Service Uniform for E-6 and junior and Service Khaki for E-7 and senior. Personnel attending schools will conform to the uniform policy of the respective training organization. Coveralls are not authorized off the pier.

When does my sea pay start?
Upon checking onboard. For amount, please visit

When do we get underway/deploy next?
Please contact your sponsor or the sponsor coordinator.

May I get a tour of the ship prior to my report date?
Absolutely, please contact your sponsor to make arrangements to ensure the ship is in port.

Is there a gym onboard?
Yes. We have a Weight Room and Cardio Workout area aboard.

Where should I look for a place of residence for my family and I?
Please contact you sponsor, they should be able to point you in the right direction. An abundant amount of information regarding schools, crime rate, amenities, community, price range, etc. can be found online.

What pier is the ship berthed at?
Contact your sponsor for up to date information or security upon entrance to Naval Base San Diego as they have a current listing. You may also call base information at (619)556-1011.

What items should I bring with me to the ship if it is pierside or I'm being flown out to meet the ship?
Bring a full seabag and any personal hygiene items you may need. For more ideas or questions about specifics, please contact your sponsor.
If something happens to a family member while I'm underway and they need me, what should they do?
Have them contact the American Red Cross. They are able to contact the ship if the service member’s family is in distress.

What is an Ombudsman?
Every Command has an Ombudsman who is a spouse of a Sailor at the Command. The Ombudsman serves as the liaison between the command and the families. The Ombudsman is the point of contact for the families. He or she can assist families with navigating through Navy life through resources and information.

How can an Ombudsman help me?
Navy Family Ombudsmen are key resources for family members, particularly during deployments. Ombudsmen maintain current resource files with information on military and civilian community agencies that can help families solve a variety of problems, and successfully meet the challenges they face before, during, and after deployments. In addition to providing referral information, Ombudsmen can facilitate communication between the Command and family members. Ombudsmen may publish or contribute to command newsletters or maintain care lines, which have recorded messages with information for command families that can be accessed 24 hours a day. Ombudsmen can also assist families in contacting the Command for a variety of reasons.

What is the role of the COMNAVSURFPAC Force Ombudsman?
The Force Ombudsman provides oversight and guidance for all the Surface Ship's Ombudsmen in the Pacific Fleet Area of Responsibility. You can contact the Surface Forces Ombudsman at (619) 301-6983 or send an email to

What is NFAAS?
Navy Family Accountability and Assessment System. This is how the Navy will track your family and assess your needs during an emergency.

How can I find out more about medical, dental or Navy family resources?
Contact your Command Ombudsman. He or she will guide you to your resources.
USS Stethem (DDG 63)

UNIT 100174 BOX 1
FPO AP 96678

Guidance-Card-Icon Dept-Exclusive-Card-Icon