An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Welcome Aboard the finest ship in the Pacific Fleet. USS Hopper's home port is Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. There are a lot of unique requirements and extra considerations that go with being stationed outside the continental United States. This section contains some additional information that may help your transition.

You are assigned a sponsor to give you a point of contact to help with your move. The key to a smooth transition is your sponsor, who in turn can help arrange your TLA accommodations, provide transportation from the airport, check you in to the command and provide you with general information about the community and on-station facilities. Contact your sponsor as soon as possible to make sure your move is as smooth as possible. If you have orders and have not yet had contact with your sponsor, please email your sponsor at

Hotels and Housing

Hotel reservations
It is advisable to make reservations well in advance. Your sponsor can help you, although you will be required to finalize your reservation with the hotel of your choice. Hotel accommodations are usually plentiful except during the high tourist seasons (December-March and May-August), so make your reservations early. Accommodations must be Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA) approved.

Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA)
TLA is an allowance to help offset the cost of living in hotels during your PCS move. TLA is based on the per diem rate and paid in ten-day increments. TLA is not paid in advance, but is paid after filing a completed claim with receipts and endorsements. Most TLA approved hotels will allow you to pay your bill after you are reimbursed. It’s still advisable to have at least $1,500 in traveler’s checks to meet immediate off-base living expenses. TLA is authorized for all command sponsored military personnel arriving on Permanent Change of Station orders pending availability of government housing, or pending completion of permanent living arrangements. TLA commences the date your PCS orders are endorsed as having reported aboard. It is imperative that you have your orders endorsed with the time and date reported as soon as possible after arriving on island. You will not be reimbursed for any days of temporary lodging prior to the report date endorsed on your orders.

Advanced application for housing
You can make your initial appointment with the housing office as far as 30 days in advance of your arrival on the island. This initial appointment can be made by you or by your sponsor. Upon checking in to PSD, the Administration Office will provide you with a copy of your PCS Orders showing the time and date you reported, a copy of your detaching endorsement showing when you detached your last command and a copy of your Page 2. You will need these documents to check in to the Navy Family Housing Office.

Family Housing
Counselors on the Aloha Team at the Navy Family Housing Aloha Center will assist you process through the housing office. As a reminder, you must first check onto the ship and have your orders stamped so that you can begin TLA. Within 72 hours of arriving to Hawaii, bring your orders in to the housing office. Failure to do may result in your having to pay for the initial days of your hotel stay. You will also need the detaching endorsement from your last permanent command and a copy of your page two. Also, while you are on TLA, declination of any housing offer will stop your TLA benefits within 10 days. The office is located in the Navy Aloha Center, 988 Spence Street, Building 2652, Honolulu, HI 96818-3676. Office hours are from 6:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Wednesday hours are from 6:45 - 11:30 a.m. See Chapter Two for more information regarding the types of housing available.

Household Information

Express shipment
You are authorized an unaccompanied baggage shipment (often called an express shipment). This shipment should be limited to clothing, linens, dishes, towels, cooking utensils and other house keeping items. You may also ship cribs, playpens, baby carriages and articles necessary for the immediate care of your children. Small radios, portable televisions, sewing machines and small appliances may also be shipped.

Shipment of household goods
Accompanied members are authorized to ship their full weight allowance, but should be advised that homes in Hawaii, both on and off base, are small compared to the mainland. In other words, you may not have enough space for all your belongings. You are advised to leave personally owned ranges and refrigerators, oversize pieces of furniture, extra furniture and cold weather clothing and equipment in storage on the mainland

Large appliances
All Navy Housing units are equipped with a refrigerator, range, washer and dryer. Ranges and refrigerators are provided for use on base and in private rental housing when not provided by the landlord as part of the rental agreement. Consider bringing lawn care equipment such as lawn mowers and weed eaters, etc. These items are available for use to family housing residents through self-help stores, but may not be available at the time you want them.

Prohibited pets
Prohibited pets include gerbils, hamsters, mongoose, monkeys, white mice and white rats (foreign source), wild rabbits, game or hunting birds, pigeons, doves, poultry, Aztec dwarf parrots, Vietnamese Pot Bellied Pigs, Monk parakeets and certain Myna species. All snakes are prohibited in the state. Breeding of all animals is prohibited.

Animal quarantine
If you are planning on bringing a pet to Hawaii, it is imperative that you or your sponsor contact the Animal Quarantine Station and request an animal quarantine information packet be sent to you as soon as possible. Hawaii is a rabies free state and has a strict quarantine law to protect residents and pets.

Pet Arrival
Pets may only enter Hawaii at the Honolulu International Airport, Oahu. Upon arrival in Hawaii, airline personnel will transport all dogs and cats directly to the Airport Animal Holding Facility. Your pet will be received by a state inspector and then transported to the Animal Quarantine Station in Halawa. You do not have to be present when your pet arrives, although you will be allowed to look in on your animals before they are transported to the Quarantine Station if your pet arrives at the airport during normal working hours. The state will provide all necessary transportation for your pet during the quarantine period.

Pets in housing
Authorized pets in military housing include: dogs, cats, guinea pigs, domestic rabbits, white mice and white rats (indigenous to the United States), caged birds, fish and other cold-blooded animals sold commercially in Hawaii. Residents of family housing are permitted a maximum of two pets (with the exception of puppies and kittens under the age of eight weeks). Keep in mind that it is difficult to obtain an off-base rental lease that allows pets. All dogs four months of age and over must be licensed by the City and County of Honolulu and wear a collar with the city and county dog tag attached. Licenses must be renewed on or before the expiration date of current tags. Applications for the license may be obtained from the Hawaii Humane Society or any Satellite City Hall. All cats are required to have an identification tag on their collar with the owner’s name, address and telephone number.

Transportation and POV

Automobile Shipments
Each service member is authorized to ship one privately owned vehicle at government expense. You must have permission from the lien holder to transport the vehicle to Hawaii. If the vehicle is co-registered, you must also show that person’s permission to ship the vehicle. If you are shipping a privately owned vehicle (POV) it will require approximately 60 days from the east coast or 21 days from the west coast to reach Oahu. All personal vehicles must be safety inspected and registered within 10 days after arrival on the island.

Rental Cars
SATO Travel office also has cooperative agreements with local commercial car rental agencies. Prices range from $28.00 to $58.00. For current information, call your local SATO Travel office or call the Pearl Harbor office. The minimum renter age for both is 21 years.

Approximately $20.00-$25.00 from the airport to Waikiki during the non-rush hour period. The Cab is the only taxi company authorized to enter the Naval base. Phone Number (808) 422-2222.

Transportation from the Airport
Oahu has an excellent public transportation system, appropriately named “The Bus”, which should serve most of your needs if you do not have a rental vehicle. Fees are $1.00 for adults, $.50 for children and students (up to high school). You can buy a for a 4-day Oahu Discovery Passport (Available at all ABC Stores) for $10.

Airport Motorcoach
Transportation from the airport to any hotel in Waikiki is operated by Airport Express. Cost of a one-way trip: Adults: $8.00 ($13.00 Round Trip). Children: 3 years old & below are free.

Picking up your personal POV
Your personal POV will be shipped to Sand Island, Honolulu located at the Fleet and Industrial Supply Center (FISC). Once your POV has arrived on island, take the Sand Island Access Road from Nimitz Highway. Continue until you cross 2 stop lights. Take the first left turn into the fenced roadway, which is marked with two signs: ‘Matson Navigations Company’ and ‘Matson Autos.’ Continue on this roadway, following the Autos signs.

Registering your vehicle in Hawaii
All automobiles used on the highway must be registered with the state within 10 days of arrival. If you are not a legal resident of Hawaii, you may keep your original vehicle license plates, but you must register your car to get a Hawaii vehicle permit sticker. To complete vehicle registration, you are required to have proof of ownership or certificate of registration; shipping documents and Hawaii no-fault insurance coverage. Additionally, Hawaii requires a annual safety inspections for vehicles; valid identification card; and Non-resident Certificate Form DFL50 (to be signed by the Commanding Officer verifying your home of record as reflected in your service record).

Driver’s License
Driver’s licenses issued by your home state are generally valid in Hawaii until they expire. If you wish to apply for a Hawaii driver’s license, you must present your Social Security card and current out-of-state license. If your out-of state license has expired, you will also be required to file an application form, complete a written examination, pass an eye test, and pass a road test. Your original license will not be returned.

Base Decal
To drive your vehicle on a military installation, you must obtain a military base decal by registering at the pass and identification office of the base to which you are assigned. When registering, you will need your Military ID card, registration of vehicle with the State of Hawaii or a state tax exemption certificate, valid driver’s license, as appropriate for automobile, motorcycle or motor scooter, Hawaii safety check receipt; and proof of Hawaii no-fault insurance.



It is with great enthusiasm that your Ombudsman are here to provide support to our Hopper families. Hopper is blessed to have two Ombudsman. 

As your ombudsmen, we are here to assist Navy families. We act as a liaison between the command and families, and we communicate information about command and community resources to families. The Ombudsman is an appointed representative of the Commanding Officer (CO) and serves in two important roles as both a communications liaison/link between the CO and command family members, and as a professionally trained information and referral specialist for the command’s families. Being appointed by the CO and acting as your link to the command helps the CO gain insight on the pulse of the family members and then take appropriate and timely action on issues of concern. Command family members have an avenue to express their concerns through their Ombudsman. We also work very closely with the Command Master Chief in efforts to improve and maintain family readiness.

Please email us at if we can be of any assistance to you. Your questions, comments, complaints, concerns, etc. will all be held in the strictest confidence, within the guidelines defined in OPNAVINST 1750.1E- the Navy Family Ombudsman instruction. We are available 24 hours a day for emergencies.

The Ombudsman Code of Ethics is the essential foundation upon which an ombudsman’s credibility is established and maintained. Ombudsman must remain committed to strict adherence to this code, Ombudsman shall:

1. Support the command’s mission.
2. Work within the chain of command as directed.
3. Maintain confidentiality.
4. Maintain the highest standards of professionalism.

We are honored to be chosen as your Ombudsman and look forward to serving our Hopper Ohana, please do not hesitate to contact us.


Your USS Hopper Ombudsman


Ombudsmen Roles and Responsibilities:

* Serve as a liaison between command families and the command.
* Keep the CO informed regarding the general morale, health, and welfare of command families.
* Communicate regularly with the command and command family members.
* Develop and distribute a command-approved quarterly newsletter.
* Establish and maintain an up-to-date and timely telephone tree or use the command care-line to rapidly distribute and gather information.
* Are aware of services provided and contact information of the Fleet and Family Support Centers and other support organizations available to Navy families (i.e. Tricare, PSD, Housing).
* Serve as a source of emergency and crisis information.
* Maintain confidentiality.

Roles and Functions Ombudsmen DO NOT Assume:

The ombudsman, by virtue of training and experience, must empower family members to help themselves. The ombudsman maintains an up-to-date list of resources so family members can be referred effectively to the appropriate agency.

Ombudsmen responsibilities do not include:

* Providing childcare.
* Transporting people.
* Lending money.
* Allowing people to stay with them in their home.
* Doing for others what they must learn to do for themselves.

Ways to reach me:

* Cell: Please E-mail me for this information.
* Home: Please E-mail me for this information.
* Care-line: Please E-mail me for this information.
* Email:
* Facebook: Hopper Ohana


Every phone call and conversation is kept confidential. This will be honored unless you are telling me one of the 5 reportable' that must be reported to the CO:

1. Spouse abuse
2. Child abuse
3. Drug and/or Alcohol abuse
4. Suicide, potential or attempted
5. Threat of physical harm to another person

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

1. What is an Ombudsman?
Every Command has an Ombudsman who is a spouse of a sailor at the Command. The Ombudsman serves as the liaison between the command and the families. The Ombudsman is the point of contact for the families. He or she can assist families with navigating through Navy life through resources and information.

2. How can an Ombudsman help me?
Navy Family Ombudsmen are key resources for family members, particularly during deployments. Ombudsmen maintain current resource files with information on military and civilian community agencies that can help families solve a variety of problems, and successfully meet the challenges they face before, during, and after deployments. In addition to providing referral information, Ombudsmen can facilitate communication between the Command and family members. Ombudsmen may publish or contribute to command newsletters or maintain care lines, which have recorded messages with information for command families that can be accessed 24 hours a day. Ombudsmen can also assist families in contacting the Command for a variety of reasons.

3. What is the role of the COMNAVSURFPAC Force Ombudsman?
The Force Ombudsman provides oversight and guidance for all the Surface Ship's Ombudsmen in the Pacific Fleet Area of Responsibility. You can contact the Surface Forces Ombudsman at (619) 301-6983 or send an email to

4. What is an IA assignment or tour?
An IA is an Individual Augmentee. A Sailor may receive orders to go IA and this means that he or she will deploy as an Individual, not with their command. Sometimes an IA will deploy and be stationed with another branch of the Military.

5. What is NFAAS?
Navy Family Accountability and Assessment System. This is how the Navy will track your family and assess your needs during an emergency.

6. How can I find out more about medical, dental or Navy family resources?
Contact your Command Ombudsman. He or she will guide you to your resources.

This is an official U.S. Navy website

USS Hopper (DDG 70)

Pearl Harbor, HI

Guidance-Card-Icon Dept-Exclusive-Card-Icon