An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.


“All American, All The Way”

Welcome Aboard USS JACK H LUCAS (DDG 125)!

Team Jack H Lucas is excited to have you joining us in San Diego, California.

To contact the ship, email the staff duty officer (SDO) at: and provide your name and contact information.

Below is listed some important info that you should review before you transfer:


You are assigned a sponsor to give you a point of contact to help with your move. The key to a smooth transition is your sponsor, who in turn can help arrange your TLE accommodations, provide transportation from the airport, check you in to the command and provide you with general information about the community and on-station facilities. Contact your sponsor as soon as possible to make sure your move is as smooth as possible. Additionally, please ensure you update your contact information in NSIPS to aid JACK H LUCAS’s sponsor coordinator when connecting you with your sponsor.


1. Hotel Reservations

It is advisable to make reservations well in advance. Your sponsor can help you, although you will be required to finalize your reservation with the hotel of your choice. Hotel accommodations are usually plentiful except during the high tourist seasons (June through August), so make your reservations early. Accommodations must be Temporary Lodging Expense (TLE) approved.

2. Temporary Lodging Expense (TLE)
TLE is an allowance to help offset the cost of living in hotels during your PCS move. TLE is based on the per diem rate and reimbursable up to 14 days. TLE is not paid in advance, but is paid after filing a completed claim with receipts and endorsements. Most TLE approved hotels will allow you to pay your bill after you are reimbursed. It's still advisable to have at least $1,500 in traveler's checks to meet immediate off-base living expenses. TLE is authorized for all command sponsored military personnel arriving on Permanent Change of Station orders pending availability of government housing, or pending completion of permanent living arrangements. While TLE is optional, it is authorized only in the vicinity of your old/new Permanent Duty Station (PDS). You will not be reimbursed for any days of temporary lodging prior to the report date endorsed on your orders. DO ensure you receive a zeroed-out receipt from your hotel along with a CNA from Unaccompanied Housing.

3. Advanced application for housing
You can make your initial appointment with the housing office as far as 30 days in advance of your arrival on the island. This initial appointment can be made by you or by your sponsor. Upon checking in to PSD, the Administration Office will provide you with a copy of your PCS Orders showing the time and date you reported, a copy of your detaching endorsement showing when you detached your last command and a copy of your Page 2. You will need these documents to check in to the Navy Family Housing Office.

4. Large appliances
All Navy Housing units are equipped with a refrigerator, range, washer and dryer. Ranges and refrigerators are provided for use on base and in private rental housing when not provided by the landlord as part of the rental agreement. Consider bringing lawn care equipment such as lawn mowers and weed eaters, etc. These items are available for use to family housing residents through self-help stores, but may not be available at the time you want them.

PCS Moves

Express shipment
You are authorized an unaccompanied baggage shipment (often called an express shipment). This shipment should be limited to clothing, linens, dishes, towels, cooking utensils and other housekeeping items. You may also ship cribs, playpens, baby carriages and articles necessary for the immediate care of your children. Small radios, portable televisions, sewing machines and small appliances may also be shipped.
Automobile shipments
Each service member is authorized to ship one privately owned vehicle at government expense to San Diego if executing a PCS from an OCONUS duty station. You must have permission from the lien holder to transport the vehicle to San Diego. If the vehicle is co-registered, you must also show that person’s permission to ship the vehicle. Expect at least 30-45 days for OCONUS to CONUS vehicle shipments.

Family Resources

1. San Diego Information
Information on getting to San Diego and area information is contained on the Navy Region Southwest Web Site at

2. Getting Around in San Diego
For information on other routes to get around in San Diego, please refer to the Navy Region Southwest Web Site

3. Housing and Lodging
Bachelor Housing: Combined Bachelor Quarters (CBQ) is located at Naval Base San Diego. More information on Bachelor Housing in San Diego can be found on the Naval Station Web Site at

Housing Welcome Center: The Navy Housing Welcome Center is the central resource for community housing. The Housing Referral Office (HRO), part of the Welcome Center , maintains up-to-date listings on available rental and sales units in the community. OPNAVINST 11101.21 directs all military personnel to report through the Housing Referral Office (HRO) prior to negotiating any agreement for community housing.

This requirement was established to assist you, on an individual basis, in locating suitable nondiscriminatory housing within a reasonable price range and to advise you in advance of those places where occupancy by military personnel is not authorized or recommended. Housing information can be found on the NAVBASE San Diego Web site at

Temporary Family/Bachelor Housing: The Housing Referral Office also maintains listings on temporary accommodations for occupancy during house-hunting trips or for brief periods (motels, trailers, efficiencies, and apartments are available for weekly or monthly rentals, including utilities). AVAILABILITY IS LIMITED.

4. Household Goods
The Personal Property Office is located in Bldg. 3376, Naval Base San Diego next to Military Family Housing up the hill from the commissary. For information on household goods shipments, call (619) 556-MOVE (6683). More information can be found at the following web site

5. Medical / Dental
Medical care is available at Naval Base San Diego and Naval Medical Center San Diego for active duty personnel, military retirees, and their dependents.

Dental care for active duty military personnel is available at the Dental Clinic, Naval Base San Diego.

6. Fleet & Family Support Center
FFSC San Diego CA, provides numerous information and referral services. These include crisis intervention and after-hours Navy Relief assistance. In addition, relocation and spouse employment assistance are also available. The NFSC's Hours of operation are from 0800 to 1600, Monday through Friday. Telephone: (619) 556-7404, AUTOVON 526-7404. Information is also available on the following web site

When You Arrive

1. Transportation

The local airport is San Diego International Airport located 6.8 miles (14.4 km) from Naval Base San Diego dry side. Travel time to NBSD dry side is approximately 15-20 minutes by car during non-rush hour. Your sponsor will most likely be the one greeting you at the airport and will help you get settled into your initial accommodations. If no one is there to pick you up, please go to the USO in the Airport and they will assist you in contacting the duty driver.

Approximately $25 from the airport to NBSD dry side during the non-rush hour period.

Rental Cars
SATO Travel office also has cooperative agreements with local commercial car rental agencies. Prices range from $28.00 to $58.00. For current information, call your local SATO Travel office or call the San Diego office. The minimum renter age for both is 21 years.

2. Where to Report
If you require travel assistance, please contact either your sponsor or the ship in advance to let us know your travel intentions. When you arrive in the area contact your sponsor or the ship for our current berth.

Report directly to the ship on Naval Station San Diego. In case the ship is deployed or underway, report to Transit Personnel Unit (TPU). TPU is located in Bldg 3142, Brunton Hall, San Diego Naval Base, 32nd Street, "Dry side". They are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and have an outstanding staff to take care of you while you are in a transient status. TPU Quarterdeck number is: (619) 556-3182.

Always check in wearing your seasonal dress uniform. When you check in the Officer of the Deck should sign your orders and your sponsor will be called to the quarterdeck to meet you if they are not at the airport. You should also meet with the Command Duty Officer and Section Leader who will ensure you have a place to sleep and inform you when to report for work in the morning. If you arrived in San Diego alone, make sure to call your loved ones.

Checking in your records
Your first day on the job should be focused on turning in your service records. This starts the process of pay and entitlements. You will need to update your Page 2 and turn in your travel claim. The Administrative Office will assist you in filling out these documents.

Daily Routine
Normal working hours are from 0700 - 1600.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

1. What is an Ombudsman?
Every Command has an Ombudsman who is a spouse of a sailor at the Command. The Ombudsman serves as the liaison between the command and the families. The Ombudsman is the point of contact for the families. He or she can assist families with navigating through Navy life through resources and information.

2. How can an Ombudsman help me?
Navy Family Ombudsmen are key resources for family members, particularly during deployments. Ombudsmen maintain current resource files with information on military and civilian community agencies that can help families solve a variety of problems, and successfully meet the challenges they face before, during, and after deployments. In addition to providing referral information, Ombudsmen can facilitate communication between the Command and family members. Ombudsmen may publish or contribute to command newsletters or maintain care lines, which have recorded messages with information for command families that can be accessed 24 hours a day. Ombudsmen can also assist families in contacting the Command for a variety of reasons.

3. What is the role of the COMNAVSURFPAC Force Ombudsman?
The Force Ombudsman provides oversight and guidance for all the Surface Ship's Ombudsmen in the Pacific Fleet Area of Responsibility. You can contact the Surface Forces Ombudsman at (619) 301-6983 or send an email to

4. What is an IA assignment or tour?
An IA is an Individual Augmentee. A Sailor may receive orders to go IA and this means that he or she will deploy as an Individual, not with their command. Sometimes an IA will deploy and be stationed with another branch of the Military.

5. What is NFAAS?
Navy Family Accountability and Assessment System. This is how the Navy will track your family and assess your needs during an emergency.

6. How can I find out more about medical, dental or Navy family resources?
Contact your Command Ombudsman. He or she will guide you to your resources.

USS Jack H. Lucas (DDG 125) Logo
USS Jack H. Lucas

San Diego, CA

Guidance-Card-Icon Dept-Exclusive-Card-Icon